Tuesday 14 October 2008

There's so much stuff in my life

Do you ever get the feeling that your most prized possessions are being overshadowed by stuff that gets in the way of you enjoying them? I do. You can't beat a good old fashioned note pad and pencil for instance. I'm surrounded with all this stuff that makes pens and paper redundant and yet in no way do they come close to satisfying that ancient pleasure of writing using a pen or, preferrably, a pencil onto a scrappy old pad.

I travel by train a lot these days and I look forward to taking out my journal cum notepad and writing stuff in it. And yet, here I am writing using a laptop.

A song by James which is included on their recent album has some great lyrics in it which go like this, "There's so much stuff in my life, what I have I don't even know. Don't take a phone company to tell me life's pay as you go. There's so much stuff in my life, no room for me to grow. Under the waterfall, under the waterfall, its cool and cold and clear. One day, I'm gonna break from my life, due south down to Mexico. I'm gonna burn down my house, it's the only way to let it go".

I can relate to this entirely. I like Tim Booth, he's talented.

I'm surrounded by stuff and I feel totally held to ransom by my house. I never owned a house until 4 years ago and now I feel totally attached to it. I don't like the draw it has on me. I know it's easier said than done but I need a clear out. I find all this stuff around me distracting. What do I really need to live a happy existence? Something to write with, something to listen to, something to get my adrenaline rush from and, ahem (look away now Mum) something to stimulate my urges (hey Giles, keep some of those copies of Hello for me, cheers). I think there's an idea for a poem in here.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I totally agree John. I feel like our house is being consumed by all the stuff in it. In fact i spend every single day just moving the bloody crap around, not actually getting to use any of it. I am soooooooooo fed up of this. I love it when a big bag goes to the charity shop.

Amel said...

well... All my belongings in the world fit in two bags: one for clothes, one for random stuffs i.e.: laptop, camera, batteries and plugs of all sorts, books, etc... Sounds like that's what you're after... I live with and have the essential, no more.

Somedays I like it. I feel free, detached from this society of consumption, no unescessary bounderies or attachment to any material belonging. Somedays, I feel like a buddhist, haha!

Somedays it makes feel like the odd one out, which I guess I am in some respect, but it's not always a good feeling to have.

There are more good days than bad though. A bon entendeur, salut!