Monday 13 October 2008

Highlights and lowlights of my week's cinema and TV

Tropic Thunder (in response to Peter Bradshaw's review in the Guardian)

Peter Bradshaw, have you lost your mind? This is one of the worst, most unfunny so-called comedies I have ever seen. With such rich acting and comedy talent at hand I expected much more. Instead this film is as lost as the buffoons who are stuck in the jungle trying to make a Vietnam type war movie. Steve Coogan and Robert Downey Jnr are the only ones who come out of this disaster movie with any credibility.

When the Cambodians discover that Ben Stiller's character played Simple Jack in his previous failed movie, that was a low point in Stiller's directing/writing/call it what you will career. If it hadn't been for the fact that I'd paid £6 (matinee price what a joke!) to watch this film at the new posh Showcase Lux in Bristol, I would have walked out there and then.

I've Loved You so Long

On the other hand Peter, I must say that you got this one spot on. What a great film and a highlight for Kristin Scott Thomas who was spellbinding. A very definite French film with a bit of Englishness thrown in. Great support acting from Luc, Michel, Lea, the melancholic cop and the family's adopted Vietnamese children are a revelation. But Scott Thomas is totally absorbing.

Just one thing Mr Bradshaw, how can you be so acute (and accurate I have to say) in your critiscism about the sugary country scene in this film and be so dismissive of so many bad scenes and cringing moments from Tropic Thunder?

Flight of the Conchords

This has been the main highlight of the week. What a great series, full of warmth and original humour and great performances by Bret McKenzie, Jemaine Clement and Rhys Darby as Murray. These guys are gonna be big. I love the songs, so funny. My good friend Matt Peers told me to watch this ages ago and I've only just got round to doing so recently. Thanks Matt! You have repaid my tip about Fonejacker.

No comments: