Wednesday 24 March 2010

A Recent Treat

I recently had the opportunity to visit my good friends Howard and Laura and their kids Hector and Rosa in Devon. They moved (again) recently to a new abode in Abbotsham near Bideford. For people who have had more nice homes over the years than David Beckham, this really is a special place and I hope they are very happy there.

I had a great few days with them enjoying their company, being away from home and escaping the normal tedium that is my life these days. I managed to get my creative juices working again which was such a relief as I thought they'd abandoned me for someone more worthy.

I took some photographs while I was away. The main subjects were: the Homeblown surf board factory, my friends and their new family home, coastal landscapes and views along the Tarka trail following the River Torridge past Instow to Fremington Quay.

I used my old Leica M6 which was a joy to be reunited with, and my newly acquired iPhone which has a simple to use application on it called camerabag from Nevercenter. This is my new favourite app for the iPhone. Camerabag uses filters to apply affects which emulate some of my favourite cameras and processing methods. The main camera filters I used where Helga and Lolo which emulate Holga and Lomo cameras respectively. I also use the colorcross filter which emulates the cross processing method and saturates colours. Any combination of filters can be applied to give a range of effects. While this is not going to convert me back to using colour, it is a lot of fun to use and see what can be created.

The iPhone is a very clever machine. I don't think I'll be looking to replace it anytime soon.

Some results below:

Lolo and Colorcross = Lomo + Cross Processing


Colorcross (Cross Processing)


Helga (Holga)




No comments: