Thursday 1 October 2009

The Big City

Saw a fantastic production of "All's Well That Ends Well" last night at the National Theatre. I woke up this morning contemplating my time so far in London and I'm starting to come to the realisation that I really am a Big City boy at heart. Liverpool, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow and now the biggest of all: London. This is not particularly good news at all.

I love my time at home in Bristol but Bristol seems such a 'sleepy' town compared to the rest. I've always had this thought at the back of my mind but I feel like I've been in denial because I'd finally chosen to live and settle in a place and put down some roots with the purchase of my first house. I've also got some good friends in that part of the country and one in particular. I know how valuable it is to have good friends and how easy it is to lose touch with people when moving around. Now I feel unsettled again and I don't know what to do.

If I followed my heart, I'd move myself and anyone who wanted to join me back to Scotland as that is the place I most felt at home in. I feel a draw to Scotland that I can't explain. My head tells me that the South of England is the place I should be for the rest of my working life. I have a mortgage that won't be paid off until I'm 60 years old with my current repayment plan.

That could mean another 15 years in Big Cities, and as I have said, I am a Big City kind of person just like my Dad. He always wanted to move back into the centre of Liverpool but hasn't done so, so far.

1 comment:

Laura said...

hmmmm...
so many questions...which are kind of already answered. In short, life is for living which you of all people know. Guess you will have to live wherever makes you happy, and you can make a living and hopefully maintain your love life too. Looks like you have the perfect balance, and at least in paid employment you have so many more choices. Fortunately living in big cities can pay the bills very quickly, as opposed to my situation.